Wednesday, September 9, 2009

One Mad Mama!




Let me ask you all one question. If you read a sign that said






Newborn Waiting






what specifically would that mean to you?? Does it scream that there is a certain seriousness to the health of a newborn that doesn't necessarily apply to children of other ages? Because that is kinda what I take from a sign like that. Which leads to the following story about Charlie's first doctors visit at only 4 days old.






Mikey and I arrive after a long walk through the parking deck and hospital with Charlie and his entire stroller covered with a big baby blanket, Michael Jackson style trying to prevent him from coming into contact with any germs. In the back of my mind I am resting easy because I know that once we arrive to the office, there is a safe haven for our sweet little newborn baby, so tiny and delicate. At Birmingham Pediatrics, aside from the sick and well waiting rooms, they have an entire closed off room just for newborns. So we arrive into said room, keeping him covered for good measure and everything was fine for the first few minutes. One newborn comes and goes. And then it happened. A mother, and a grandmother come in with a set of twins... aww you might be thinking, newborn twins, double the cuteness. Except for these weren't newborns. They were at least nine or ten months old. Old enough to crawl around and spread all sorts of germs. In my hormonal and sleepless haze, panic starts to set in. I am mad and scared all at the same time. I keep telling myself they must at least be well for their mom to have the audacity to bring 2 obviously NOT NEWBORNS into the clearly marked newborn waiting room!! Then it starts. One of the twins starts coughing...and sneezing, and I am almost in tears. I think Mikey started to realize that I was upset. If I were of a more confrontational makeup I would've politely asked them if they were aware that this room was for newborns only, as in neonates, not kids under one. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that if a child is mobile, they are no longer a newborn, but I digress. So Mikey takes Charlie, who is still in his stroller covered by his blanket, walking around out in the halls while I listen for the receptionist to call Charlie's name.




As I continue waiting, I become certain that one of the twins is sick by his coughing and fussiness, but if I needed any confirmation, the mom provided it. She proceeds to complain to her mom about how she hates this doctors office because you have to wait for like 30 minutes in the waiting room and then another 45 minutes in the back, and then all the doctor is going to do is, "look at him and tell me he's fine and WRITE HIM A PRESCRIPTION!" I am getting mad all over again just writing about this. So, not only was she so bold as to bring her NOT NEWBORNS into the Newborn Waiting Room but they WEREN'T EVEN WELL!! Maybe it is my maternal, hormonal instincts mixed with the swine flu hysteria that makes this seem like such a big deal to me, but how selfish can you be, to risk the health of a tiny baby who can be devastated by even the most simple of sicknesses, to protect your older children who weren't even well in the first place. I might've given her a pass if I thought that they were just there for a well visit, but they weren't.




So if you are expecting me to end this post with some big confrontation between me and this woman, you are going to be disappointed. I've never been one to stick up for myself, but in this one instance, I am ashamed that I didn't. If you think I am being irrational then give me a pass for being a new mom (again). If you agree then HIGH FIVE via the WEB, and if you, yourself have ever done something so despicable, then shame on you!!




Now that I am through with my RANT!! I will get to the stats. Charlie had lost down to 7 pounds 12 ounces on Sunday and by Tuesday, he had already gained back up to 8 pounds. Once you turn the corner from the initial weight loss, it is uphill from there. He is thriving and doing great. When he breastfeeds, he has the force of a Hoover vacuum cleaner, which has led me to the decision to pump instead of actually nursing him because he was killing me. I am feeling much better, and so is he because he is getting to eat more than he would be if I were just breastfeeding. He was really fussy for the first few days and I am convinced it was because he was hungry and he is a different baby boy today. He is and will continue to be a blessing, and I find myself continually thanking God for my many blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Well if I had of been with you i would have said something to her or the receptionist. There was no reason for that to happen. I might have said anything when i was a new mommy but now that i'm a grangran i would have spoken out. If she had of jumped me i think between me, you(with a c-section) and Mikey could have taken her(that would have been something to see). Love you all 5!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay i would have told the receptionist to move that family where they belong.. then i would call Michelle and tell her to get over there quick and let that woman have it!(i am meek too)!

    ReplyDelete

background