Sunday, May 16, 2010

suckers

For Easter, I wanted to try something new that I saw on a bakery blog that I thought looked neat and easy. Her recipe called for using cake mix and icing ( bake the cake and then mix the whole can of icing in). I, however, took the advice of my co-worker Brittany and made them with an Oreo truffle center! Great idea btw! It was delish!









You start out with just a standard pack of Oreos. I think next time I may try double-stuf but I can't vouch for how those might turn out because I've never tried it.



You put them in a food processor (or a blender might work as well) but I don't think you could crush them up fine enough by hand and I'll show you why.



It needs to be about this consistency to make the creamy texture necessary for the next steps. Andy no, I did not remove the cream. It will be black like all you used was the cookie, but I promise the cream is in there.





This is what is will look like and it is moist to the touch.






Next, you take one 8 oz. block of cream cheese (I'm sure the whipped kind would've worked fine) and mix it up completely. For this step I used my mixer. Well, actually my mom's mixer because I made these at her house. What, you though I owned a food processor? Wrong.



Then you take the truffly mixture and roll them into balls about the size of a ping-pong ball, not quite as big as a golf ball(you could make them however big you like as long as you don't plan on putting them on a stick.) If they are any bigger than the size you see here, you'll have a hard time keeping them from falling off the stick once you start dipping. Once you've made the truffle balls, refrigerate them over-night, or if you're in a hurry, stick them in the freezer for an hour!











Then I bought these miniature cookie cutters because the original directions from the website I linked earlier called for a small flower shaped cookie cutter to make the bottoms of the

cupcake-look-a-likes (you'll see what I'm referring to in a minute). However, the flower I bought was too big. It was the smallest one they had at Hobby Lobby so I don't know where you could get one any smaller. I substituted this small bottle cap from an unopened bottle of paint and it worked perfectly.





I bought these colored candy wafers that worked perfectly for dipping once they were melted. They also came from Hobby Lobby. Be sure you follow the melting directions precisely like when it tells you to use the defrost setting on your microwave, DO IT, trisha.




I used pastel Easter M&Ms, sucker sticks, and an assortment of sprinkles for decorating.




They were just so festive! I love sprinkles!





This was our final product! An Easter tree, if you will. They were delicious. It would've been much easier just to take the original balls and dip them in just one color of chocolate, but that would've been nothing like decorating Easter eggs, however, that's probably what we'll do next time for time's sake. Maybe with just a few sprinkles though.





We used the bottle cap I mentioned earlier to narrow the bottoms of some of the balls, which we then dipped in brown chocolate and let dry. Once that had dried, we dipped the top in colored chocolate and added the decorations that made it look like a mini-cupcake! So cute!




Here we have an Easter egg pop! Cutes boots!




The flower pop! We used syringes to do the detailed decorating!




The butterfly, Ava Claire's favorite.


Anyway, even if you don't get into the decorating aspect of this delectable dessert, it was incredibly simple to make the oreo truffles and it would've been quick and easy if we'd just dipped the balls into the chocolate and skipped the intricacies of the decorating. I would totally recommend it. Not to mention that everyone raved over the deliciousness that is the Oreo truffle! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. YAY! they look soo cute! I've never done cute decor on them! and yes double stuffed oreos are soo yummy with it too :)- Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that this was a great idea and everyone that ate them loved them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious as Huett and Sam would say.. and I have a food processor you can have if you want!I will never used it!!

    ReplyDelete

background